Carpet bags have always been beautiful to me. Maybe it is the old-fashioned patterns or velvet material. Maybe it is the magical way Mary Poppins pulled multiple large items out of her bag one surprise after another. Though I have never owned one, they still represent something bigger than luggage. They represent the metaphor of life. Life is full of surprises and these surprises come with stories. 

The purpose of this blog is first for me the writer. I need a place to store my stories, a place to record my history. Though I still love to put thoughts down on paper with a pen, I want to create a space to store my research in a more organized way. The second purpose is for the reader who desires to stay a while and see what I have in my "carpet bag" of stories, research, history, and reflections of this short life. Just as Mary Poppins kept her carpet bag with her at all times to pull from, I too want a bag to pull from, teach from, and share from. Mary Poppins encouraged her pupils to not dawdle with her infamous command "Spit spot!" but I encourage you to stop and learn. 

Today's lesson begins with the question...

~ What do you have in your "carpet bag"? I have many things in my life that I can share and reflect on so in order to begin, I need to just reach in and pull out something and start writing. Since I titled this blog The Historical Carpetbag, I will start with what I am planning to study today. 

As an online professor at Liberty University, I teach Christian apologetics. One of the books used is Apologetics at the Cross: An Introduction for Christian Witness by Joshua D. Chatraw and Mark D. Allen. Also next to me on my side table is The Oxford Book of Essays chosen by John Gross. Before I start my morning, I prefer to first read from the Holy Scriptures. Each day starts with Proverbs and since today is the 23rd, Proverbs 23rd will be what I read as well as an additional book. 

"Apply yourself to instruction and listen to words of knowledge." ~ Proverbs 23:12

Another word for "instruction" is discipline. In a culture that is obsessed with being entertained by another's life, this verse pulls my attention away from the noise. This verse challenges me to think about what is entertaining my mind and makes me ask if it is profiting my life. Writers love to look further into the definition of words because it broadens the scope of understanding. 

The word "entertain" isn't just about performance but has several definitions. Entertain can mean showing hospitality or amusement. The definition I want to focus on is the ability to hold or maintain one's attention. Here are some synonyms to consider (or entertain): chew over, contemplate, meditate, study, wrestle with and weigh. I hope that takes your mind to better places than the circus of social media or today's dull t.v. shows when thinking about entertainment. 

And so I ask you Reader, what are you entertaining your mind with right now in your life? If you are just not sure where to start, then let me help guide you into a better palette of interesting things other than the tik-tok videos that seem to feed the masses but offer no nutrition for the mind. 

Your instruction for today is to start filling your own carpet bag. Your mind was created to discover what is true and it loves to connect the dots. 

Carpet Bag Treasure #1: Books


1. Go to your local library or thrift shop and get some books on multiple subjects you can stack in a basket or bag that you can see every morning while you drink your morning coffee or tea. Remember when you were little and your elementary teacher took the class to the library on library day and everyone dispersed to explore all the books the library had to offer? Let's get that joy back! Books help you to see the world and meet new people. Some of my biggest influencers, counselors, and friends are writers that I have never met. Their words motivate and instruct me better than any present teacher at times. 

2. Start a journal. Journals help organize the mind, discover desires, recognize bad thinking, and give direction. In turn, these habits comfort the soul. 

3. Grab multiple subjects to entertain your mind. Here are some suggestions for subjects to include:

- History: Pick one subject of history that interests you now. I have been studying England's Monarchy.

- Nature/Gardening: Pick a book that makes you enter nature again. I have been researching how to slowly grow a garden and what plants go best around a pool.

- Biographical: Recently, I have been reading my children's books in this area. One book was on Walt Whitman and the other was about the founder of Sanrio. In the end, I was actually reading about poetry and business.

- Cooking: I am more of a cleaner/organizer so cooking is my least favorite job. Therefore, I need people to inspire me on this subject. I scored a stack of Magnolia Home magazines at the thrift shop for $1.99. The beautiful stories Joanna Gaines includes encourage me to love the jobs in the home. 

- Inspirational: The Bible is my daily choice and then whatever companion book that feeds my soul for that season. I am enjoying The Jane Austen Devotional by Stephany Woolsey.

Lastly, I love to read my children's books because they are colorful and have great illustrations that please the eye. I also enjoy reading bibliographies on their level that give me a quick understanding of a famous person's life without the chore of feeling like I have to read a long book. If I am really interested in that person, then I will take my research further. There is something freeing about reading their books. Maybe it is the sweet memories of childhood wonder. 

Let's explore!

~ Kristen



Comments

Popular posts from this blog